Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day One - Expect the Unexpected

My good intentions yesterday were almost destroyed by my husband - Mike's good intentions.



He told me we were going parachute jumping, bungee jumping or rock climbing for my birthday. I wasn't that thrilled - as they involved losing my bodily fluids. At least they included exercise!



I packed 4 bottles of water and a fibre one bar - just in case I was going to miss a meal.



We took a two hour drive to Barrie Ont and stopped at the Mandarin for lunch. I ate a good selection of chicken, shrimp, and veggies and avoided the deep fried chicken balls, egg rolls etc. The sushi there doesn't contain any raw fish. Imagine bungee jumping on a full stomach!



After lunch we drove to Midland where he took me to a Golden Retriever breeder to see my birthday present - a 4 wk old puppy! I get to bring it home Sept 19. He has been working on this surprise for months with my friends and the breeders. Needless to say - Mike now has a full set of Brownie points and I am truly over the moon. We have been dogless since December.



When we got home my neighbours and daughter Carolyn came over to see pictures and celebrate. This is where the sabotage comes in - Carolyn brought a box of tasy little pastries and the beer and wine were not in short supply.



I did indulge in a corner of a cannoli and one glass of wine. Then I quickly pull out my Eat Shrink and Be Merry. I found a recipe that contained a large amount of chicken breast and enough ingredients found in my kitchen that I could do on the barbeque and feed large group.



Chicken Teriwacky - I didn't have an orange - but I did have a lemon and I figured that I may not be so adventurous to bungee jump - but I think I am pretty good at improvising. Oh this went over huge - everyone loved this and I served it with kaisers for the rest of the group and plenty of fresh tomatoes - just off the vine!



Today is market day in Milton and I will attempt making a plan for the week and then shop for the recipes. My intentions are to plan a weeks worth of menus and then try to stick to them.



I plan on going to the gym and starting slowly getting back into shape! I also shared my news about this blog with my husband and daughters and they are very supportive.

3 comments:

  1. hey! you don't know me, and i don't know you, but i got here from the "eat shrink & be merry" blog which i think is something that we have in common :) i'm horrible at reading and not leaving comments, but i'll try to leave you a note here and there to let you know that people are reading your blog and to hopefully encourage you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all three of their cookbooks, and they are definitely my absolute favourites! Every recipe I've tried has been a winner, *and* they are great reads.

    Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all three of these cookbooks and LOVE them. Not only does every recipe taste great, they are great to read as well. If you get stuck or want something different, definitely pick up Looney Spoons or Crazy Plates to go along with the one you've got.

    Good luck with your year long adventure!

    ReplyDelete