Friday, August 21, 2009

Okay - so I'm jumping in with both feet. A one year committment to get healthier. This began with reading Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski and Julie/Julia by Julie Powell.

This blog will provide the accountability I need to stick to the changes I am making - specifically - 3.5 hrs of exercize a week and eating healthy foods. I intend to eat my way through the book - Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by preparing and eating at least one recipe per day. I loved this book and read the book cover to cover in two days. It was purchased for a gift and I could not part with it. The recipes are both healthy and tasty. The articles are interesting and useful - but also motivating and funny.

Yesterday was my birthday and I am giving this project to myself for the next year. Today - I weighed in at 2 pounds more than I was when I was last pregnant in 1985 - 173.

Today I am going to start with 30 minutes of yoga, a breakfast of yogurt and cottage cheese with blueberries and then prepare Chop Til You Drop - oriental chicken salad with peanut dressing.

My husband, Mike has a surprise for me today (I hope it is a puppy!) and I will try my best to avoid birthday cake, chocolate bars, potato chips -ooh my favourite and chicken wings.

Last night I went to the local pub with the neighbors for wings and beer as my last hurrah - and we had a tornado rip through the city - knocking down trees and tearing off roofs! An omen?

Today I will plan to pack lots of water, snacks and good intentions for the first day of Eat, Shrink & Be Merry Project. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Girl, you're starting at my goal weight! (Okay, maybe a bit lower.) I like your approach. I'm not interested in what we're not going to eat. Let's focus on what we ARE going to eat. I look forward to your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words - I'm new at this blogging thing. My passion is cooking and eating good food. I hope you will join me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha...you started near my goal weight too! I love this book. I need to pull it out, dust it off and follow along. You go girl!
    Deb in Winfield, Ks

    ReplyDelete