Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day Six - Back to Life

What a difference a day makes! After a really crummy day at work - I met my two best friends, Margaret and Lori for a salad and a wine spritzer. Later we went to the show to see Julie/Julia. If you love to cook and eat - please go see this movie. Usually, I am so disappointed by the movies that are made from a really great book. Not this one! Meryl Streep was larger than life (literally) playing Julia Child.

It also made me think about my own motives for doing this. I really don't intend to write a book about this - or a movie and I really don't want to be famous. What this does for me is it keeps me committed and I have a constant reminder that I do intend to change my eating habits and add exercise - and add a lot of water.

I spend a lot of time in the car and I drive past a lot of fast food places every day. I also have little nagging urges everyday to go find a chocolate bar or chips - my comfort food.

The difference I have noticed is that by planning the menus and being prepared with really tasty food that is balanced, I can fight off the cravings. If fit and healthy came in a bottle - my shelves would be stocked!

Margaret reminded me that her husband Mickey says "with all the various diets, exercise programs, weightloss centres and nutrition books we have entertained - we must be the smartest fat people he knows!"

The food we ate from Eat Shrink and be Merry was Touched By An Angel - angel hair pasta with peppers, basil, garlic. It was like a healthier version of pesto. Mike did the preparing of the peppers while I went to the gym and I finished it off when I got home. I think I overdid the garlic though. It was yummy but the garlic has lived on long after the meal ended. Not a fault of the recipe - I am learning moderation! You wouldn't want to be on the treadmill beside me tomorrow!

Tomorrow I am leaving for the weekend up north so I had better get planning some easy meals to prepare. Actually I haven't come across any recipes in the book that would be difficult for anyone.

Day 7 tomorrow!! Whoo Hoo - 1 week almost complete - 51 to go!

2 comments:

  1. MMmmm...pesto. I may have to look that one up!


    If you´re looking for some make ahead food, I made Banana Blueberry Bombs, and used flax oil instead of lowfat butter and they´re delicious. I doubled the recipe and froze some - great for on the way to work. I also made Whole Lotta Enchilada which ends up being a cheap meal - I used 2 1/2 chicken breasts and it will make three meals for my family. I froze them before baking them.

    Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks Jenny for the tips. I'll try them too! I appreciate your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete